Seriously, don't ever put me in charge of coming up with names or titles.
1. Restaurant Week has come and gone (well, technically it's till today, but the chances of me going to more is highly unlikely), and I have dined in two places thus far: the Mediterrano with the kendo people, and Shalimar with the Lounge people. Yes, I refer to my social cliques like that; they're the only people I ever hang out with in this vast University, anyway.
Mediterrano: a Mediterranean (duh) place. Went with Dan, Matt, and Heidi. Sadly, the turnover rate was a few people short of what we initially expected. Without Mike, our favorite teasing material person, Matt resorted to poking fun at Heidi, probably the next easiest target since she really doesn't like being called a hipster. I had cream of tomato soup, a chicken and pasta dish (whose name now escapes me, much to my embarrassment), and vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. The food was quite good, and they had very generous portions. Dan and I went to kata workshop afterwards, and were thus able to work off the food, among other things.
| The bread they had was the awesome kind of bread - hard, crunchy crust; soft, moist insides; and a savory taste with a slight tang. |
| Cream of Tomato soup. |
| Main course. |
The ice cream.
Shalimar: Indian place. Went with Andrew and Sam. Yup, turns out that you could have a worse turnover rate for an event than I expected. The service guy seemed a little confused at times, such as giving Andrew lentil soup instead of samosas, and taking away his plate when Andrew said "I'm still working on it" (Why does everything screwy always happen to Andrew? ;_;) but otherwise, the food was quite tasty. Shalimar also had huge servings (what's with all these places with copious amounts of food?), which I am certain I would not have been able to finish under normal circumstances - I literally did not have food prior to coming to Shalimar.
As if to prove that Shalimar indeed had monster servings, I did not eat anything (well, save for the remainders of my green tea ice cream, which wasn't much to begin with) afterwards and I felt fine.
| Lentil soup. |
| Main course and rice pudding (dessert) |
2. Yesterday was a weird day; not only did I eat very irregularly, but I kept on falling asleep, and I was left with a huge sense of apathy. Hopefully today will be a little better. Perhaps the Shalimar food was spiked, as Andrew also noted he wished to sleep.
3. Currently writing an article about apartment complexes. As I try to interview people and get referred to one person after another, I realize how beurocratic everything is, and how regular, ordinary people aren't allowed to comment on this or that without getting permission from the higher-ups.
As a twenty-one year old, I should know this by now, but it does make the difference when you're going by foot trying to interview them and you just end up ascending the corporate ladder of phone numbers and e-mail addresses until somebody is willing to talk to you, if you're lucky.
Add this on the reasons life as a child is more desirable than that of an adult.
4. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-06-16/tiger-and-bunny-staff/kotetsu-hat-to-be-made-for-sale
So apparently they're going to sell Kotetsu's hat as merchandise in the near future.
![]() |
| This hat. Also, it's a very good excuse to put up another pic of him. |
Four words: I want that hat.
I fucking want that hat.
I have never ever bought anime merchandise (exept for one very flimsy "notebook" with FMA on the cover, which is most probably not an official merchandise), but this hat I would buy in a heartbeat.
Do you know how difficult it is to get subtle, tasteful, nerdy products?
Almost every nerd product out there is flashy, gaudy, and loud, like Naruto T-shirts or backpacks; it's almost as if the product makers are scheming to have nerds stay forever alone and never give them a chance to contribute to the gene pool.
Have you seen a guy walking around campus with a Naruto T-shirt?! I have, multiple times, and trust me, nothing says "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME, I AM A SAD MANCHILD WITH NO SOCIAL SKILLS" in big, flashing letters like wearing a T-shirt with technicolor ninjas on your torso. Subtle nerd products that are blendable with everyday accessories that only those in the know would detect are as rare as shooting stars.
Perhaps I can scrounge about department stores and see if they have any hats that look similar enough. It seems like it could be a common and generic enough design. Well, one can dream.
(THAT HAT.)
