Sunday, June 5, 2011

Alternative Saturday Night

It's Saturday, and the rest of the (modern industrialized) world was partying it up - or at least spending quality time with their friends and companions.

It was my selfish desire to have at least a little bit of time to spend with my friends during my stay in Ann Arbor asides from writing Daily articles and studying for the GRE. I've been too accustomed to having no friends to interact with in Prague and Seoul for the past two summers that despite better judgment, I wanted to make most of my situation and hang out with friends as much as I could without disrupting my work.

So when it was Saturday afternoon, my designated break time, I decided to spend it with other people, so I headed over to Andrew's apartment.

We chatted, drank iced tea (because the weather was boiling outside) and looked at blogs of horribly made cakes, horribly dressed people and horrible Engrish.

Between all the time, Andrew tried contacting other friends to see if anyone would come and join, since it's more the merrier, and we were two nerds who didn't really know how else to spend time other than looking up things on the Internet, and there's only so much two platonic individuals can do to pass the time with no board games, no change of scenery, and no other people.

Nobody came by the time we had dinner. Everyone was either busy, unavailable, or not physically in Ann Arbor. Andrew headed out to borrow books (and search for people), while I entertained myself chatting with Robert (who is in Japan) on msn and watching Tiger and Bunny (*insert fangirl squeals of delight*)

When the show was over and I was still chatting with Robert, Andrew came back looking a bit dejected. The library was closed early, and no one was around to play when Andrew went searching. We continued to stare at our computer screens and started spending time solving Sporcle quizzes, consoling each other half-jokingly that nope, this wasn't sad at all, no siree, we were having a fun Saturday night.

Although I do not own a twitter account, I think it is appropos to include the "#" symbol that defines a huge portion of the internet-speak today to describe this spectacle. #foreveralone

Around 11PM, we finally got a hold of Emily, who happened to be living with the Carriage House folks (and knew Danling, Hannah, Emily, Amanda, and Andrew). I have seen her once or twice when she came to study with Andrew and had exchanged words a little bit; despite the massive student population at the University of Michigan, it was a very small world in regards to the student social circle.

Things turned a little less sad when there were three people. We went to Bubble Island, had bubble tea, and then continued to be nerds solving quizzes on Sporcle. It was still fun, though, and the change of atmosphere that an additional person gave was rather apparent.

So we didn't hit the bars or went partying/clubbing in the streets, but all in all, it still turned out to be an okay Saturday.