Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Weekend of Kendo-ing

...lame title in lack of anything better to name the entry.

Kendo weekend.

This Saturday and Sunday, we had a double-whammy of Kendo tournament and promotion test at MSU. While it was certainly the most hectic weekend ever, the need to study for exams tomorrow is rather interfering with the ability to write a lengthy, thought-out blog, and I don't think I can come up with one due to brain fatigue. I will try to do my best with a journal log-esque entry.

Saturday: Tournament.

1. Met up with people in front of Espresso Royale at 7AM. Early, yes, but not as that of the Detroit tournament, where people had to convene at 5.

2. Ken and Alex came as returning alumni to fight with us! Yay!
We have lots of beginners volunteering, Yay!
Alex: It's weird, I can't recognize about half of these people.
Ken: It's okay, I'm sure they're looking at us and going, "Who are these people?"
I missed you guys. Although it really doesn't show given my nonchalant attitude.

3. EMU: so close by car, you could cry.

4. Matches:
1st match - went against a Korean girl whose rank I could not decipher. But given that I hit some of her blind spots, hoped to at least score points. But she won fair and square, and she eventually went up to third place in women's division, so I guess she was a tough opponent to beat. Earned: bruises on side of chest and waist.

2nd match - MATCH OF PAIN. Went against a guy in EMU, said guy repeatedly slammed the shinai on my right hand and several on my head that hurt. Bad. Also got a nasty hit on my right arm that I couldn't fight for a while. Kiai became very loud and aggressive, because they were SCREAMS OF PAIN. Exited the arena with a loss of feeling in my right hand, swollen right arm, and tears. BRB crying like a baby because it hurt that bad.

(Brian also got a nasty fall on the back on the head after match. Reported extended time of pain and feeling fuzzy. He did not cry like a baby, the brave trooper.)

5. Antai won first place in mudansha divison. Final match consisted of striking two points within a span of about ten seconds. Bad. Ass. Excuse me while mind is blown. Aww yeah, gold medal!

6. Lunch in form of delicious Japanese bento, with large quantities of food to boot!

7. Watched Ken and Matt's matches, attempted exam study, Zzz'ed instead.

8. Team match: against MSU.
Team lost by a point. I tied my match with my opponent, only because she seemed to be at a similar skill level. Feeling a teeny tiny bit proud of not losing points at least.

9. Fast-forward to end of tournament and dinner at Chinese restaurant. Traffic is a bitch, and MSU students were being obnoxious in light of their victory in football match. Oh well.


Sunday: Promotion Test

1. Espresso Royale, 7AM again. Bought breakfast food.

2. Sun was rising as we drove to EMU. Pretty!

3. Panic attack, feeling as if I'll fail. Practice doesn't go too well for me.

4. Dread dread dread. I want to pass, it's only 2-kyu, it'd be pathetic if I failed, dread dread dread.

5. Actual test: did it like I had to. Thought I thought I didn't do too well, fumbled a bit on keeping distance and missed a men strike. Loud kiai to compensate.

6. Watched others test.

7. End of test, went to board tentatively to see results.

8. Huh... wait, did I pass? Whoa, I did! Thank goodness! Yay I have a rank!

9. Antai and Brian passed shodan, Everyone trying for 1-kyu passed 1-kyu. Group cheer and merriment.

10. Lunch at Red Robin, fun times and silliness abound.

11. Returned, showered, napped, blogged. EXAM STUDY COMMENCE.


To rate the overall experience by various divisions:

Improvement of skills: 3.5/5. Definitely improved, but still didn't managed to score point. Will have to do better. Kiai is definitely much nicer.
Promotion test: PASSED!
Fun: 5/5. Was definitely fun, comradery and kendo matches abound.

Overall: 4.5/5

That's all, folks!