Every Chuseok (Chinese/Taiwanese people will know it as "Moon Festival") the Korean students of UM have an annual Chuseok dinner, where they provide Korean food, though it costs money. Because of my inherent fear of large social gatherings and the exorbitant $15 fee, I didn't go.
This year, it was $10 for non-members. And this year, I was feeling a little braver about facing people, although I still felt $10 was bit of a rip-off.
I call my friends to come and share some Korean food. Robert, Andrew, and Feiqi come along.
After paying, we sat at the table... waiting. The event was supposed to be at 7 PM, but once again, people seemed to not pay much attention to the time. I have once heard that there used to be such a thing called "Korea time" where people come an hour late. I have also heard that such practices have since disappeared after the 1988 Seoul Olympics, feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
This is 2010. GET ON WITH THE TIMES. (Pun not intended. But I like the bad pun.)
The performance by Sinabro was pretty good. However, there really wasn't much afterwards. A Korean man came and asked for Korean tutoring help, but said that only students who graduated from Korean high schools were eligible (but, kind sir, surely there is a more fool-proof way, like a test? Having gone to a Korean high school does not automatically ensure quality Korean, surely you know this?) Finally, there was food.
...Only one helping. Only one rice cake. Only a little bit of food for each. And then people left.
I was okay with the portions, but the three guys seemed a bit crushed at the exchange rate of $10 and the meager food. I admit, it seemed kind of like a ripoff. But having rice cake was oh so glorious. I have mixed feelings about this.
Oh well
WELL GUYS, WE'LL GO TO THE MOON FESTIVAL THING ON NORTH CAMPUS ON FRIDAY AND GET A MOON CAKE, ALRIGHT?
In addition, I am more at peace with my socializing issues. I have chatted up with others, they respond to me pretty politely. I still have a long ways to go, but I don't think I'll cry over the issue anymore... at least, for now. I have come to a realization that again, I will not be automatically shunned by groups of people before they even know me. I now have the courage to go talk to them, and I see that there is a potential, an open invitation, for me to hang out with others. Not everybody is an asshole, I can accept and see that there are nice people in this world.
I guess the summer job in Korea did help me get over some issues. Good to know.