Saturday, October 30, 2010

A nice little dinner AND LIKE WHOAH.

After much trials and tribulations - meaning, 1) Neither of us could quite find nice clothes to wear and fumbled around 2) I crashed after a pumpkin-latte induced no-sleep night from Thursday and 3) Finding the right time and place for this FINALLY, Robert and I had a nice dinner and hung out, and while a bit irked by circumstances, was able to talk it out and generally have a nice time.

Which, of course, is not the reason why this blog entry is here.

After enjoying a bit of free pool at UMix, we decided to stop at Pinball Pete's to play some games, while we walked around looking for games to play, I spotted a certain thin, tall man with dark brown hair reaching just below the ears that seemed so familiar...

The guy also looked at me for about three seconds before a glimmer recognition formed between us.

Then it struck me.

Holy shit.

It's Spencer!!!!

(The best rendition of him that I can manage on MS Paint)

Of all the GSIs I've had so far, Spencer is special. Not only is he the first GSI I've ever had, he's the only one who I had for two semesters, the one who caused a minor yet very memorable incident with the exam question on Great Books 2 final, and, of course, his class was the one that Robert and I was in, which made us become friends, and finally, a couple. So yes, Spencer is special.

And, of all the places, he was at Pinball Pete's, right when Robert and I were together.
I cannot believe my eyes.

"Hi, how have you been?" Spencer asks good-naturedly. He still has that nice but awkward-sounding voice as if he's a shy student doing a class presentation OH MY GOD HE HASN'T CHANGED.

"I'm good! How are you?" I try to keep my voice in control, my face straight, anything to NOT FREAK OUT HOLY SHIT IT'S ACTUALLY SPENCER IN FRONT OF ME. Also, I call Robert back from a distance to come over here.

As soon as Robert turns around, I see a transition of recognition - disbelief - amusement in his facial expression, and his face screaming IS THIS SPENCER, REALLY?!

Surprisingly, Spencer also recognizes Robert, and we have some small talk before he asks us the obvious question of, "So, what are you guys doing here together?"

Robert and I look at each other with higly amused faces.

"You see, it's a funny thing actually - we ended up getting together shortly after your class ended."
"Oh, that's so sweet!" Spencer replies, amused at the turn of events.

This moment.

Everybody has a hypothetical moment which they wish would happen in real life so that they'll be thoroughly amused. For about a year and a half, we have conjectured about this moment in our imagination, doing a "Wouldn't it be funny if Spencer knew we got together?", a running joke between us, something to amuse ourselves with.

To add to the amusement, it was not too long ago that we conjectured that Spencer probably graduated by now, and that our amusing notion will forever remain an amusing notion in our collective imagination.

The amusing notion just hit us square in the face in the form of a night in Pinball Pete's.

We eventually part, and when we were in a safe distance from Spencer, we just burst out into giggles of disbelief.

"Holy crap, did that actually happen?!"
"Did we actually run into Spencer?!"
"I thought he'd have graduated already!"
"Oh my god"
"...WOW."

We couldn't quite concentrate in our games, and we remained giggling and just being BLOWN OUT OF OUR MINDS till we reached my apartment, where we continued being Spencer-shocked from it all.




On a completely unrelated note, a skunk had apparently run loose somewhere in Ann Arbor and was letting its aroma linger near the apartment. I have never smelled skunk odor before, and from a far-off distance, it smells like something vaguely toxic burning in a fire.

Also, we got fortune cookies that was creepily accurate for our situations.

For Robert, who bit into an innocuous dumpling from UMix to find it was full of peas, which he is allergic:

"Forgive the action, forget the intent".

For me, who didn't call my parents like I always do on Fridays:

"Most importantly, keep in touch with your family".

A magical night all around, indeed.