The first thing I noticed about Korea yesterday was the humidity that swept me as soon as I stepped off the plane. The airport smelled of air-conditioned newfangled buildings, the heat and the beginnings of monsoon season. It was wonderfully nostalgic, despite having to adjust to the heat again after spending cool, windy summers back home. Having no wireless puts a bit of damper in my ability to write blog entries, but I'll make do with what I can. (EDIT: my uncle found an ethernet wire so I can use internet in the room. YES.)
I woke up extra early today; maybe it's jet lag, maybe it's my screwy sleep schedule on the plane, but I went to bed at 8:30PM and woke up at 5. While waiting for the rest of the family to wake up, I spent the time reading Sugar Sugar Rune that was in my cousin's room. Why a third-grader boy has shojo manga in his room is a mystery, but it was addictive, despite the horrifically cute and girly atmosphere. This must be guilty pleasure.
The plane ride to Korea was uneventful; I did all my errands as told, met my aunt and went to her house. My aunt was happy since both my cousins did well on their exams, my grandma was the same as ever, though she talked about having divided up photos for us to take after she passed away, which was a tad depressing. Although her concerns were a bit justified in that she is, well, an old grandmother.
When Yiwen visited Prague two years ago, she couldn't get over how my brother went through puberty and had the stature of a gorilla. Likewise, I can't get over how my cousins changed. The little cousin grew bigger and plump, fine. But the older cousin, my god, I can't recognize him. The last time I saw him, he was a chubby elementary school kid. Now, he's a skinny middle school kid with glasses, and he went through puberty. His voice sounds so odd to me that I need time to process the change. Kids grow up so fast.
Day 2
Going to my other grandmother's house became a long, tedious trip. I sort of knew how to get there since I've visited two years ago. My uncle, out of good intentions, have told me a faster way to get to Dogok station via subway. But on the bus, he suggested that we change buses that take me to Dogok all the way. Which was fine and all, but since I've never taken that route, there was a higher chance for me to get lost in the middle of nowhere. I rather that he just let me go the route I know, I had plenty of time today, and I felt sorry that he was taking me there instead of stopping to go to his workplace in the middle.
Of course, me being hopelessly direction-challenged, I had to screw up the subway station that I was supposed to go to. In the bus, I had the sinking feeling that I wasn't supposed to stop at Dogok station. Sure enough, a re-confirmation to my uncle informed me that, no, it wasn't Dogok, but Guryong that I had to go to. Well, shit. So all that mystery bus ride was meaningless at the end, and I have to go back in the route that I always took. Thankfully, I managed to get there, much to everyone's surprise.
My grandmother and my uncle keeps offering me food; not just any food, but sweet ones. So far, I've been given ice cream, wafers, melon, and coke. This is coming from a family who was a history of diabetes. That is all I'm going to say. They seemed the same, well, save the fact that my grandfather wasn't there since he passed away.
I also met my other guy cousin, who was in middle school when I last saw him. He was a high school student, and he had gotten taller and older-looking. I reiterate, kids grow up so fast. And I seem like the only one who hasn't changed in appearance since middle school. Am I preserved in something?
Well, that's all I can say for the first two days of Korea. I'll see what other events await me in the month of July, as well as the translation work that I've come here to do.