Thursday, July 22, 2010

Korea: Day 20

I am not one who wears pretty and fancy clothes. I like my stuff to be simple, comfortable, multi-purpose, and easy to wash. Should be very, very slightly feminine - a little curve here, or a pretty pattern there. Nothing more than an indicator that it's girls' clothing.

Seems like wanting clothes like that is not allowed for me in Korea.

As I'll be doing IMPORTANT TRANSLATION STUFFS tomorrow, I had today off as well. After a bit of lounging, my aunt and I went to the department store to look for clothes.
The first department store had... little to no casual wear. They were all fancy, dainty, hard-to-wash clothes. Frills and beads and lace and all that jazz. Ugh.

The little casual clothes they had were a bit disappointing according to my clothing taste - the recent trend in shirts seem to be big, bold prints, lots of cubics, or lots of glitter. BLING BLING! Nothing but shiny and outrageous shirts. How would they even survive in the wash? No matter how much you try to be careful, beads and cubics will one day fall off, and prints will wear and tear. Whatever happened to practicality?

Is the taste for simple and bland not accepted here?

Fortunately, we had more luck in the second store we went - yes, there still were a lot of shirts with loud, bold prints, cubic, and what have you. But there were more shirts to look at.

To make a long story short, we didn't end up buying anything. There were one or two shirts that seemed nice, but in the end, it all came down to how nice I looked in it. I don't.
I'M TOO FUCKING FAT.

If I like the color, there is no size. If I like the design, there is no size. When it does fit me, it still makes me look fat because the shirt was designed that way.

In the land where long, thin girls walk around the streets, there are not enough sizes for people even up to my size, and plain, simple fashion is probably laughed at, or something. Everything is bold, shiny, fancy, flashy, BLAM! Enjoy the slenderness and suppleness of youth! Beauty reigns all! And sucks to be those who aren't pretty and thin enough!

...okay, enough with the rant. I still didn't end up buying anything and nothing is changing that fact.

On another note, I am just about ready to slap my friend, if I see him. Or even hear from him. One does not simply stop commuication altogether and stay that way without any due notification, especially when we were calling and texting each other just fine prior. Unless his phone was stolen. But that doesn't really seem to be it. I'll be waiting...