Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Flurry of Emotions of Yesterday

The way to work is long and hard and it's stuffy. And then the bus tire had to go flat, and we had to ride another bus. I am immensely irritated.

In the subway station, there's a girl standing near me, she's on the big side but she's really prettied up, and she can't let go of her hand mirror for more than five minutes. Somehow she seems really familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Does she look like a big version of a celebrity? Have we met before? Is she one of the rich kids I met in Gangnam three years ago? Is she one of my classmates way back then from Korea, only unrecognizable from prettying up + possible plastic surgery? The curiosity is nearly killing me. BUT SHE LOOKS SO DAMN FAMILIAR.

She keeps looking at me. Is it because I'm looking at her, or does she feel the same way about me? I try to be not too obvious about looking at her, and we go on, glancing at each other discreetly.

At some point, this woman gets on the subway. She looks about forty-something but she's dressed like a little girl. She has pigtails and big flashy hair ribbons and colorful bracelets and she's wearing overalls. And she's laughing maniacally like a five-year-old. Oh god, I think, is she... not right in the head? Notice how I try to be PC about my terms. She grabs a lady in front of her and starts talking about angels, still sounding like she's five. She laughs again: heeheeheeheeheeheehee! Okay, she IS not right in the head. I am suddenly afraid.

In front of me there are high school girls. From the way they keep talking about their college entrance exam, they seem to be seniors. They sound so tired and uncertain of their future. I feel sorry for them, especially since I have no actual idea how insanely difficult the Korean college entrance exam is, though I know it makes the SAT seem like coloring books in comparison. I hope they do well on their exams.

By the time I arrive at my workplace I'm drained of emotions from all the commotion that happened while coming here. What a lovely Monday.