Friday, July 21, 2017

Doodle Diaries: Progress in 3 pages, a comic

There is a certain way that I want my digital art to look, but I can never get it to look the way I intended.

I keep looking at how other people draw, but for some reason it still looks terrible when I do it. I can't figure out why.

I decided to draw a 3-page comic based on a mini scene I wrote for fun to get the lining and coloring right on my digital drawings.




Page 1: (Finished July 9)

I should probably have finished the background. But I was working on it for literally hours and I had enough. I don't know how I'm going to draw backgrounds in the future.

I just filled the rest of the panels with very large lockers as backgrounds.

---

Page 2: (Finished July 10)

Realized there was no getting away from drawing other backgrounds, so I tried. Managed to find a few shortcuts to make the process somewhat less painful, but you can tell I barely put any effort.

The lines and colors are still so flat! I've seen other artists line/color/shade like this but theirs look just fine! What's the issue here?! Am I missing something?! Do my drawings just suck?!

---

Page 3: (Finished July 22 - I didn't have the time and motivation inbetween)

Made the lineart off-black instead of black. Tried to put more effort in shading. Played around with the gradation tool and airbrush as well.

It looks slightly better, but it's not there yet, not even close. I need to experiment more.

The background in the last panel is a result of me fiddling with a photo and adding colors, you can probably tell. Fuck backgrounds.

---

Some day, I'll manage to churn out something halfway decent... some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment