Monday, July 3, 2017

Doodle Diaries: How I drew this one particular picture


Decided to show a step-by-step just because.

Back when I didn't know anything about digital drawing, I thought it wouldn't be that long a process. Boy was I wrong.


This one started as a pencil drawing. I start by drawing a rough sketch.


Flesh out details from rough sketch and start drawing more defined pencil lines.


Pencil drawing done! I liked it enough that I decided to color it digitally.


Scanned the drawing, began lining over the original drawing. On a separate layer, of course. Layers are important. You can never have too many layers.

Provided closeups of process below.


It's a lot harder to get away with flaws when drawing digitally compared to pencil. Googled torso anatomy and tried to approximate where muscles should be going, fixed anatomy.


Continued lining. I just lined the clothes part blue so I can fix mistakes if I find them, but it doesn't really matter what color you use.


Feet and loudspeaker position still looked weird so I continued fixing.


Made all my lineart black, filled in flat colors on the drawing.


Found a nice manga style sparkly tone from one of Medibang's background sets (Medibang offers a few dozen manga style backgrounds/tones). Added purple gradation effect on the background.


Background put in. Added lighting. Drew harsh lighting to convey the feeling of being under bright stage lights.

The last time I exclusively used airbrush to highlight/shade, it looked like a child's drawing on Deviantart. Somehow it does not look as terrible this time around.


Added shadows. I lowered the opacity levels on the shadow layer for the skin because having it at 100% opacity looked like he rolled around in a mud puddle rather than it looking like shadows.


It might not be super obvious, but I colored my lineart. The loudspeaker now has a dark gray and dark red outline, the skin has a light brown outline, the hair has a light gray outline, etc.



Added finish date and decided to try out the glowy effect I saw on a YouTube tutorial.

Done.

1 comment:

  1. !! I had no idea so much work goes into a drawing (it should be obvious, but it wasn't). Super cool to see the behind-the-scenes!

    ReplyDelete