Objective: "Every October, artists all over the world take on the InkTober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month."
Rules:
2) Post it online
3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2016
4) Repeat
Parker kindly added that you can post daily as intended, post every other day, or post once a week. "What ever you decide, just be consistent with it," he said.
I certainly did not have the time or drive to do a drawing per day, so I settled for once a week.
I also did the challenge with some rule-bending (?) (it didn't say it wasn't allowed) based on browsing the Inktober hashtag on Instagram:
1. The Inktober challenge had daily prompts in form of keywords, but most people drew whatever they wanted, which is also what I did.
2. I used a few other medium other than ink, but did the important lining bits with ink.
3. I don't know if ball point pens count as "ink", but I decided to count it because... the only ink-based tool I own is a thick brush pen and there's only so thin a line I can produce with that.
Week 1: I drew my OC Marie kind of crouched and being sad. I drew her like this after being fed up re-drawing and erasing around half a dozen pencil sketches because none of them would come out the way I wanted.
The first drawing came out better than I expected. The black and gray watercolor pencils added a nice shadowy effect but didn't look too out of place with the brush pen.
Week 2: In which I let it be known to the world that I'm a hopeless Haikyuu fan.
THIS WAS A PAIN TO DRAW. First, I kept accidentally smudging the ink everywhere. Unfortunately, traditional drawing has no Ctrl + Z button so you have to live with your mistakes.
Second, using watercolor on regular printer paper instead of watercolor paper (which I did not have) wrinkled the paper so much that I had to stop every so often to pop my drawing in the freezer to un-wrinkle it. I looked like a crazy person.
Lastly, the original pencil outline was tiny, so I was lining and watercolor-ing with the thinnest brush strokes I could manage and thus could not really work on details. My arms were trembling by the end of the whole thing.
I think I managed to convey their personalities, at least.
Everyone please go read Haikyuu, or watch the anime. JOIN ME IN HAIKYUU HELL!
So here are the results.
Week 1: I drew my OC Marie kind of crouched and being sad. I drew her like this after being fed up re-drawing and erasing around half a dozen pencil sketches because none of them would come out the way I wanted.
The first drawing came out better than I expected. The black and gray watercolor pencils added a nice shadowy effect but didn't look too out of place with the brush pen.
Week 2: In which I let it be known to the world that I'm a hopeless Haikyuu fan.
THIS WAS A PAIN TO DRAW. First, I kept accidentally smudging the ink everywhere. Unfortunately, traditional drawing has no Ctrl + Z button so you have to live with your mistakes.
Second, using watercolor on regular printer paper instead of watercolor paper (which I did not have) wrinkled the paper so much that I had to stop every so often to pop my drawing in the freezer to un-wrinkle it. I looked like a crazy person.
Lastly, the original pencil outline was tiny, so I was lining and watercolor-ing with the thinnest brush strokes I could manage and thus could not really work on details. My arms were trembling by the end of the whole thing.
I think I managed to convey their personalities, at least.
Everyone please go read Haikyuu, or watch the anime. JOIN ME IN HAIKYUU HELL!
Week 3: I drew a real fox to offset how much of a nerd I was the previous week. I also haven't drawn animals much, so I thought it would be a good time to try it out.
I used a reference from Google image search. Drawing all the strands of fur was kind of painstaking, but the article-publishing tool at work crashed before I could send in my last story of the day, making me unable to leave work for around 40 minutes. The details on the fur was a good outlet to pour out my frustrations.
Week 4: Witch and cat.
I knew I wanted to do my final prompt involving a witch because, hey, end of October is Halloween and Halloween = witches.
I also went through multiple witch sketches, got fed up, started doodling a few more witches and realized I was starting to ship them for no reason so I took a half-day break before settling on this sketch.
Ideally I would have used watercolor pencils or something to do a better job on coloring the dress and hat, but I think I just wanted to be done with it all after penciling and erasing another half-dozen compositions. It came out okay, I think.
*
Inktober was challenging but also fun. I also got a good use out of the one brush pen I had, which was just laying around the house after I impulse-bought it years ago.
I would be up for trying this again next year, perhaps with more ink-based tools and better quality paper.
OMG you've gotten so GOOD. You were always good but wow!! My favorites were the first drawing and the fox. Holy crap. (Moar? I'm always insatiable when it comes to your stuff.)
ReplyDeletealso...I have never heard of this anime but now I want to find it...
Yaaay! >w< It's nice to hear that I've gotten better at things. It's one thing when you wonder if you improved vs. when other people notice. Coloring was a pain haha, I could def use a lot of improvement in color/contrast/shading.
DeleteYou should be able to find the anime (and a lot of other anime) on Crunchyroll! Haikyuu is about a high school volleyball club and I don't usually watch sports anime, but the kids are all so precious and they make everything easy to follow and it's just the best *_*