Saturday, October 1, 2016

Doodle Diaries: Art progress, 6 months in



It's almost six months since I began drawing habitually and consistently again! And you know what? It feels great to return to it. My goodness, I missed it, so so much. I didn't even realize how much I missed it until I went back into it. Let us never part ways again.

My drawing style also went through what is probably the most drastic change in years.

Drawing styles change and people improve if they keep drawing, that's kind of what naturally happens. But even then, I haven't seen this much jump in my skills since forever, and it's exciting to see the progress!

So I decided to share a few doodles from when I started to draw again vs. current ones.

*

Here are some doodles of my characters Jun and Thomas (Lumped together for OTP convenience's sake):

April 7, 2016
September 30, 2016

Who are you and what happened to you guys???

Jun has gone through so many changes that I am almost tempted to do a more detailed chronicling of his transformation just to see what the hell happened.

Thomas, meanwhile, just became prettier and prettier.

Here is a colored version of them which I posted on Facebook earlier (Apr vs. Sep):


I swear I did not draw these in similar poses on purpose. I only realized the similarities when going through my old drawings. I'm not very creative with poses.

I don't know when I decided to change Thomas's hair and skin tone, but I much prefer the current version. I'm also glad to see that I have learned how to draw clothes and anatomy slightly better.

*

Here are doodles of Shannon, the sweet, sunny girl who can still kill a man if she has to, metaphorically speaking:

April 2016 (I didn't date some of these drawings, unfortunately)

Sept 17, 2016
Sept 17, 2016
Sept 29, 2016

I see her hair became slightly longer with more volume.

Also I got rid of her forehead bangs because I felt like her hair was getting weirdly similar to Thomas's when I kept drawing.

*

And finally Marie, the tiny girl with attitude:

April 2016

Yikes she looks like she's 10 (instead of like, a tiny 17 year old like I intended)

Also hello complete lack of human anatomy. Why did I think I knew how to draw???

Sept 19, 2016
Sept 28, 2016

Marie hasn't really changed in terms of basic design. But anatomy is less atrocious now!

So I guess the takeaway is that I learned how to draw better anatomy and everyone became prettier-looking.

I recall I was wary about my drawings becoming too anime-looking in fear that I'd end up drawing Dorito-faced people with saucer-sized eyes, but we'll see. I guess it's up to me to try to avoid doing that.

I wonder how things will look like in another six months.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! Wow! What a huge change! And all of this from letting your drawing lie fallow for a few months. Hey, maybe your skills were composting and good things were happening.

    Also, I wanna know the storyline so bad....Jun + Thomas => <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I meant that I've been drawing nonstop since April. Before that I definitely have not been drawing as much D:

      Storyline keeps changing here and there hahahaha... but despite all that I'm weirdly inclined to keep the ship going :p

      Delete