Monday, December 26, 2016

Doodle Diaries: Digital Drawing, Phone edition

I drew on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) with a drawing app called Medibang for almost half a year.

I've doodled cute, simple things on my phone before, but decided to draw a bit more seriously to familiarize myself with digital drawing before drawing with a tablet (which I now finally own!!!)

I decided to document my terrible, terrible phone drawings and its progress because why the hell not. I am very slow at getting the hang of this digital drawing thing.

Completion Date: 2016/07/27

(YJS gets disoriented using new drawing program)

Did you know using a new program or using a new apparatus pushes back your drawing skills like crazy? Well, I do now!

I had just jumped into drawing on Medibang as opposed to SketchBook X, which pushed back my drawing skills to that of a 13-year-old.


Completion Date: 2016/07/31

(YJS discovers drawing over a pencil sketch. Also discovers the fade in/fade out pen feature, tries both at once)


Completion Date: 2016/08/04

(Fade in/fade out pen was a terrible idea actually. Let's just use a regular pen tool)


Completion Date: 2016/08/07

(YJS tries out coloring and cel shading. PS: I don't actually know if that person is a man or a woman)

Completion Date: 2016/08/17

(YJS discovers the blur tool and abuses it)

Completion Date: 2016/08/18

(YJS discovers the watercolor brush tool and abuses it)


Completion Date: 2016/08/24

(YJS decides to color normally again because the constant experimentation made her feel like a child)


Completion Date: 2016/08/25

(YJS tries lining with pencil tool, also discovers airbrush tool and abuses it)

2016/09/04

(YJS decides to color normally again. She is unsure why the airbrush version looks more lively than the regular colored version despite looking crappier. There is something fundamental about lining/coloring that she is failing to get)


Completion Date: 2016/09/16

(YJS tries a more motion-y composition and fails. She apparently has no idea how people punch things)


Completion Date: 2016/09/26

(YJS still really likes this drawing. It's cute)

Completion Date: 2016/11/04

(YJS FINALLY discovers pen pressure. YJS also shades with airbrush tool, finally realizes why only n00bs on Deviantart shade with airbrush tool.)


Completion Date: 2016/11/07

(YJS tries drawing without pencil sketch underneath. YJS also lines with different colors, tries varying line thickness. Looks okay but something's still off.)

Completion Date: 2016/12/01

(YJS decides to draw backgrounds. And add lighting. And more shading. And speech bubbles. Result looks like what a 15-year-old kid would post on Deviantart)


Completion Date: 2016/12/19
(YJS uses a different pen tool for lining, varies line thickness. Drawing is starting to look somewhat okayish. Not sure what the magic formula is yet)

I felt really freaking stupid figuring out all the features and coming across ALL the common mistakes children make while digital drawing at age 26, but I guess it can't be helped.

Now that I have a tablet, I'll try drawing more and see if things improve further.

1 comment:

  1. !!!! <3 This made me giggle. The drawings look great! Have fun with your new tablet--can't wait to see what you produce!

    ReplyDelete