Drawing style is such a fascinating thing. Everyone has their own style, and even if they started mimicking someone else in the beginning, over time it morphs into something unique, something inherently you.
Crazy personal theory: You can figure out a person's essence or personality from their drawing styles.
There is no supporting evidence or objective measurements on this, but I do feel like you can gauge something about the artist when you look at how they draw.
There are some art styles that immediately makes me smile upon seeing them because they look so warm and full of heart. Some art styles are incredible skill-wise but it doesn't stir up any emotion other than "hey wow that's pretty good". Some art styles look pretty but feel dull, and some art styles feel downright unpleasant.
I have no idea what styles usually make me feel such things because it's entirely subjective and I haven't really found a recurring pattern yet.
Also, just because someone's art style doesn't do it for me doesn't mean that the artist is unskilled. My preferences are not based on skill and that style might just be another person's absolute favorite.
(Although with the "unpleasant" art, is IS more often than not based on skill. Usually the artist has a poor grasp of facial anatomy so their subjects look "off" or slightly creepy)
But when I look at art styles I like, I get a feeling that if I were to meet the artist in real life, our personalities would click and we'd be good friends.
I wonder what my style says about me.
No comments:
Post a Comment