Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why do I always attract pamphlet people?

People asking me for directions wasn't the only people that I randomly attracted from the streets. I forgot to mention that I also attract people giving me pamphlets or trying to give me a sermon, mostly from crazy religious people.

Let me be clear that I don't look down on religion at all. But the ones who do stop me in the streets are usually the crazy pseudo-religion scam-you-of-your-money sort, or the crazy Jesus-beliving minority sect that normal Christians don't consider legitimate sort.

As I was walking down the stairs of my apartment at 10AM, a not-quite-young man (early-mid 30s) and an old man (mid-50s?) were downstairs where the mailboxes were. The not-quite-young man (whom I shall now refer as Pamphlet Man) called out to me.

In Korean.

Pamphlet Man: Hello, are you Korean?

Me: (confused, slightly startled; he can tell I'm Korean?) Uh, yes.

Pamphlet Man: Well, hello. (steps out of mailbox area, moves closer) Spring break is over now, yes?

Me: Yes.

Pamphlet Man: Ah, well, we wished to talk to you a few about about Jesus and religion, if you don't mind. It's written here... (rummages through packets of pamphelts)

Me: (Oh god, not again! Why do I always get approached by these people?)

Pamphlet Man: (rummage rummage)

Me: Um, I'm sorry, I'm kind of in a hurry at the moment, so-

Pamphlet Man : Ah, are you now?

Me: -so if you could just give me one of your pamphlets, I'll read it through. (Please, just let me go!)

I was being honest: I was sort of in a hurry; I needed to watch an assigned movie at the library before class started at 11:30 AM.

Pamphlet Man: I see. Well, if you are in a hurry, the things we wanted to ask you about are in our flyers (takes out two pamphlets and hands it to me)

One of them was called, "What kind of person is Jesus?" and another was "What to do with Angry People"

Me: (The fuck? "Angry people"?)

Pamphlet Man: But we'd like to come again and ask more questions next time. What is your name?

Me: (Shit!) Y**** (real name).

Perhaps I should have lied about my name. But then the old man (who never spoke a word) was still in peering over the mailboxes. I didn't want them to not find anything in the mailbox and give me a lecture about lying to people and going to hell or something like that.

Pamphlet Man: Y****, huh? (him and old man peers into mailbox) Um, I can't find your name-

Me: (Oh my god, are you stupid? I just told you my real name!)

Pamphlet Man: -can you tell me which apartment you're in?

Me: (Um, NO.) It's there.

Pamphlet Man: Well, okay, then. But we'd like to visit you again and talk about this more in-depth. Goodbye then.

Me: (shitshitshitshitshitshit) Goodbye.

I leave my apartment completely. I gingerly look at what's written in the pamphlets, but they're just about the same old thing every crazy religious pamphlets write about.

This is hardly the first time that I received Korean religious pamphlets in Ann Arbor. They've ended up in my mailbox several times now.

Why do people do this? I don't care if other people have religions or not. Religion itself is not bad. But I grew up in a non-religious household with two non-religious parents. Hell, even my extended familes are non-religious. And I've been just fine in terms or morality or ethics or other such things.

I've been to church for about two months or so a long time ago, and I've visited Buddhist temples. I know how it's like. And it's really not my thing. I don't mind other people being religious, but I do not appreciate having it shoved down my throat.

ESPECIALLY FROM SHADIER SECTS THAT ALWAYS HAND ME PAMPHLETS.

EVERY DAMN TIME.

As for whether they'll visit again... I'm going to pretend I don't speak Korean.

No comments:

Post a Comment