Friday, July 1, 2011

Shenanigans in Prague (Pre-Korea)

1. Haircut.

I am still on the quest to chop off my locks. And once again, my hair is the shortest it has ever been. I would have liked to have my hair short with a fringe or have it as a longer version of a pixie cut, but my mother insisted that I needed hair to cover up the sides of my face because my face is too wide. So it ended up looking like some sort of bob cut.

While I like my hair, I have concluded after some observation that the default style made me look like a "bitchy fashion magazine editor-in-chief" or a Japanese transgender makeup artist, so I rearranged my hairline. Now I look either stylish or emo, depending on perception. I regret nothing.

2. Police

Apparently the Czech traffic police ticket you like mad during the end of the month. Most likely because they get evaluated for their efforts at the end of the month, they start pulling you over for the tiniest of offenses.

My mother got pulled over a few days ago, and she was puzzled as she had not violated any traffic laws as far as she was concerned. Probably noting the fact that she cannot speak a lick of Czech, they asked her to pay 1,000 CZK (about 60 dollars) and threatened her with a handcuff when she asked them to wait so she could call my dad's secretary (who was Czech) to figure out what this was all about.

After some three-way conversation via phone, it turned out my mother was supposed to have her car examined once every two years and have some sort of proof of it. However, it was apparently not an offense that required payment upon violation. She was allowed to go off.

"Police are corrupt everywhere in the world! Trying to get money out of me and threaten me with handcuffs over something I didn't even have to pay!" she fumed.

Warning to tourists and expats and locals : stick to public transit at the end of the month, and always have your transit ticket.

3. Feather

I only realized recently that despite my brother having dropped a shirt size and some pant sizes, he was not at all slim. I am allowed to poke fun at his previous comment of "I feel so light like a feather~!"

A feather that can still crush and suffocate you.

4. We had lots of sashimi yesterday. It was glorious.

5.  Nerds

My mother, with her two children away for college and her husband only coming home once or twice a week from Poland due to work, has plenty of free time. She has spent it on watching dramas and reading fan forums of JYJ. Even with both her children here for the summer, she still watches dramas and reads fan forums of JYJ with evident glee.

And I was starting to wonder where my nerdish tendencies came from. Glad to know that this was hereditary.

In other news, my brother has read way more manga than I have. I think I watched more anime, though.

YAY NERD FAMILY.