Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Korea Day 1&2

The plane flight to Korea was relatively peaceful; the plane had good food (bibimbap and green tea porridge, yeah!), mediocre movie selections, great documentary sections, and a packet of toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers to use in the plane, which I very gladly made of use.

The good news was that the weather was not as hot when we arrived. Since it was the middle of rainy season and had been raining nonstop, the few sunny days ended up being in the lower to mid 20s, despite the humidity. Hey, I’m fine with less sweat running down my entire body.
Unfortunately, that’s about the only thing I can say about the first day. After an early dinner and family reunion, my mom, brother and I promptly fell asleep and stayed that way until the next morning.

Day 2:
Since the main objective was to translate and work at the Holt Children’s Center, we took our 90-minute commute once more to adjust working hours.

Recognition, enthusiastic welcome, and more enthusiastic welcome. I was surprised that they remembered me from last year and was all happy that I came back to work again. I know I’m supposed to be working for the good of the community, but goddamn it, I think I’ll recharge my ego meter while I’m here.


After settling schedules, we headed to my (paternal) grandmother and uncle’s house, where we stayed for dinner and chatted and all that general merriment. Well, as merry as grownups in a conservative and formal household engaging in general merriment can be. 

My grandmother and uncle, as usual, tried to offer us plenty of sweet food, including watermelon, wafers, yogurt and ice cream (which we politely declined). I swear, I am going to develop diabetes from all the food they offer us.


Korea is currently enthralled (read: batshit insane) with having Pyeongchang as the host for the 2018 Winter Olympics, whose results would be announced in about half an hour from the time I am typing this. This entire day all three official television channels have been having “special programs” about Pyeongchang, with guest star performances, street interviews, uplifting speeches and patriotic comments full of “Pyeongchang, Hwaiting!” “Korea, Hwaiting!”. Cue BGM of We are the Champions. Did I mention that this is the third time they’ve tried to host the Winter Olympics? 


Seriously, with all the special broadcast and news articles and cheery hopefulness, you’d think they already were nominated as the host city. The cynic in me only wonders what they’d do with themselves if Pyeongchang doesn’t make it. After all, they’re competing against contenders such as Munich and Annecy. Can’t they wait for festivities after they know who’s hosting the Olympics? 


I love my country, but I swear to god they can get overboard with enthusiasm sometimes. It’s like how a daughter cringes over her lovable but goofy dad who is cheering way too loud at a tournament and is telling everyone in that loud, obnoxious voice that his little girl is sure to win first place because she’s awesome like that, and he even has the drinks ready to celebrate her obvious victory.


Meanwhile, behind the backlight of my laptop in the dark, dark house (everyone is tired and went to bed), we (or physically, just me) all wait with bated breath.


Oh man, the IOC is going to announce the winner now.
And the host for the 2018 Winter Olympics is…


…Pyeongchang.


Oh hey, we did win. After twelve freaking years of trying to host it. Well, good. Now Korea can finally drop the “trying to host the Winter Olympics for the third freaking time” thing. I know I should probably sound happier or more patriotic, but alas, I am a cynic to the end; all I’m thinking is “Fucking finally, we can get this over with”.


I am glad, though. Asia can use more Winter Olympics, after all. And there is something kind of poignant and touching about trying and trying, and trying again without giving up to finally achieve one’s goal.


Good night, everybody!