Monday, July 11, 2011

Korea Day 7

Holt:

It's raining nonstop. It's been raining all week since we arrived.

The southern parts of Korea is flooded, even.

Can we please, please stop with the rain?

That being said, my brother and I still went to our second day of work. Somehow, we were asked to come at 11AM instead of the usual 1PM. I hoped that commuting just slightly after rush hour would make the bus and metro less crowded, but no such luck. Seoul has way too many humans for public transit to be empty between 9:30~10:40 AM.

We translated stuff, yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure it'll be boring if I keep on bringing up the fact that we're translating, so I'll keep it short. It was a few days before the adoptee summer camp, so the staff were busy sorting things and preparing for the opening ceremony.

As a result, we were often stopped at the middle of white-collar work (translating) in order to carry out blue-collar work (such as cutting paper and pasting them, sorting pens and notepads into goodie bags, counting the number of bags, putting stickers on name tags, rolling up banners, folding pamphlets, counting them...) - and when we got through that, there were more stuff waiting to be translated. Because you know, FREE LABOR!

I'm not complaining here - we came here to help, and we're giving help. I just wonder how the staff get through it all when there isn't any extra people around. They seem all out of breath and perpetually panicking even with two translators and part-menial laborers.

At least we got free lunch out of this.



Siblings bicker and talk about nerdy things:

Summary: I currently watch an animated series called Tiger and Bunny. My brother teases me about it. I tell him bits and pieces of the show to try to brainwash get him to watch the series with me. He just ends up teasing me more.

"So why is the guy called Bunny?"

"Because his helmet has pointy ends at the side of his head like rabbit ears. So the
partner calls him 'bunny-chan'."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"Oh my god, stop that, that is creepy."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"Stop it."

"Why?"

"The way you say it makes me fear for my life."

"Why would you fear for your life? I'm just saying it funny."

"It's not funny, it's creepy."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"It just makes me wanna say, 'Gaaah, run away, Bunny!'"

"It does not sound creepy. Here, I'll say this in the same voice; Younjoo is an idiooooot."

"That's not creepy, that's just annoying."

"It's the same voice."

"Well, that's not creepy because it's something you always say. When you say 'Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan', it sounds like you're going to rape him."

"What, no."

"Yes, that's what it sounds like."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"..."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"..."

"Did you give up now?"

"No, I'm just exhasperated."

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"...Argh."

"Hahahahaha."

"Are you going to keep on teasing me?"

"Yes, because you freak out and it's funny."

"Does this mean you'll watch the show?"

"No."

"Why not? It's fun. Let's go home and watch the first few episodes."

"No."

"Watch, watch, waaaatch."

"I don't want to. I already know how it is because you told me everything. Why should I watch it when I can tease you about it from the sidelines?"

"So you're going to tease me without ever having watched the show?"

"Yes, it's more entertaining that way."

"Waaaaach the shoooooow!"

"Buuuuuuunny chaaaaaaaan."

"Sigh."