Today is my last day before I leave for New York tomorrow.
It's also the last day of my responsibility-free bum life I've had for seven months.
And given the circumstances, it's also probably the last time I live in Prague full-time. Of course I'll visit during holidays as long as my parents are here, but it'll probably never be longer than several weeks/months anymore.
I was expecting to feel wistful, but right now all I feel is vague anxiety.
Maybe I'm too distracted by immediate things to feel wistful - there was an INSANE heat wave today, and there's last-minute packing and weighing our gigantic luggage, wondering if they'll all fit in the New York taxicabs when I get there.
There's also the intense all-day orientation session for three whole days (seriously, why?) and mom and I have been brainstorming on how to use what little time left to get settled in.
Of course, it also means the beginning of new, exciting things - the start of graduate school, the start of a new campus life in a University that I was quite lucky to get in to, the start of new friends, and a serious training in a profession I plan to pursue.
The biggest emotion I feel out of this clusterfuck, though, is the anxiety of having to shoulder responsibility after largely being free of it for seven months, the end of "childhood".
Technically, I have not been a child in years so this sounds a bit silly, but I meant childhood in the sense of being responsibility-free.
After one year in grad school (which will teach me the basics of my future job so I don't feel like a "student" that much), I'll get a job; not an internship or a part-time job or anything, but a REAL job, one which I am expected to support myself with.
With the economy and everything, I can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed by the notion of beginning a fully adult life.
But I suppose when the time comes, I'll end up going through life okay.
Sorry if the post sounded like it was rambling. You know how 3AM blog posts are like.
No comments:
Post a Comment