Typing away once more in the cooling room. Brittany Hall now banned dragging mattresses along, putting up more cots instead.
They also said "the cooling room opens at 8 PM". 8PM my ass. When I brought my bedding at 7:45 PM the lounge was already 2/3 full.
Anyway, more mass entries!
Day 36 (July 1): French Wine Party
Elsa found out about a
French Wine party where you can taste wine and eat food for free. Obviously,
all of us said yes. I don’t know how Elsa keeps on finding stuff like great
alcohol deals and celebrity residences. It’s like a superpower.
Elsa worried whether we
were going to arrive on time for the food, saying, “The French don’t leave food
laying on the table for long.” Luckily we arrived before they served food, but
I found out Elsa’s words were true.
| Grab and go, grab and go, grab and go! |
| White truffle butter (left) and black truffle butter (right). Tastiest butter ever. |
| Wine. I didn't keep track of what wine it was, sadly. |
| Okay, so it wasn't much of a party rather than a... tasting event. |
Day 37 (July 2): Interview at New Jersey
Interviewed Congressman Bill Pascrell in New Jersey. Mr.
Yoo told me to be at the car rental parking lot at 9:50 by the dot, but he had
trouble renting a car that we left at 10:50. Sigh. Miraculously, we arrived in
NJ and was only 10 minutes late. Interview went smoothly, and we had lunch at a
Korean soybean place at 7th Avenue and 35th Street.
Yup.
Day 38 (July 3): Interview at Buffalo
We had an Interview with Philip Kotler at Buffalo, NY. I
woke up at 4:30, showered, dressed, left dorm at 5:45 and made a long trip to JFK Airport. The
trip took 1 hour and 40 minutes. The
plane ride to JFK took roughly the same amount of time. I slept the entire way.
| NYC at 6AM. |
| Penn Station to take a train... |
| ...that takes you to the AirTrain that takes you to JFK. Here is JFK. |
This time, Mr. Yoo could not find his licence, so we could
not rent a car, and had to take a taxi to Mr. Kotler's place, which was more
than an hour away. Oh god the cost, ouch.
Mr. Kotler lived in a very nice summer house, and was very
accommodating in the interview. We both brought books that he wrote, and he
autographed them. The interview went well; I wish I can say the same about the
taxi ride back...
| Here, have a pic of peaceful rural Buffalo. Because what happened next isn't pretty. |
Initially, Mr. Yoo asked for a discount for the taxi fare,
and the driver agreed. But after arriving at the airport again, they had an
argument about the fare because Mr. Yoo didn't want to pay tip. It escalated into the two of them
shouting at each other. The driver threatened, "I'm going to call the police!" Mr.
Yoo retorted, "Oh, yeah? Go ahead, then!" I stood in the middle, petrified.
Perhaps I should have said something, but sadly, I was too afraid. I was having my plane ticket and meal being paid for; what if I spoke up, and he decides to ditch me in the airport in a fit of irrational anger? I have nowhere enough money to go back myself. After the driver (somehow) left, Mr. Yoo went on an angry tirade about how "Indian people always rip you off". Cringe cringe.
Not to mention racist.
I got back fine.
Day 39 (July 4): Fail fireworks
Fourth of July!
I don't have much to write here; I was having the blahs
again. And then I dragged myself to see the fireworks. But I didn't get a good
view because I didn't leave early enough.
| Happy |
| Fourth |
| of July... *cries* |
Somehow, missing the fireworks made my stressful week and feelings of inadequacy and resignation blow up all at once. I went on a temper tantrum (to Robert, via text) in the middle of the street. Sigh. I
got better, after a few hours.
Day 41 (July 6): Lexington Avenue
Not much to write about. Only having a month left in NYC, I made a list of places I wanted to go. I decided to cross off Lexington Avenue and Gramercy Park from the list today.
Before heading to Lexington Ave., I saw the NYU hawk ripping a pigeon
apart. It was quite graphic. Every day is National Geographic Day with the NYU hawk!
| Like a boss. |
| Gramercy Park, only private access most of the year. I took pictures from between the railings. |
| 28th street is full of Indian restaurants. I should go to one of these sometime. |
| Grand Central Station market. |
Now we're back on track! I should start being productive again.
No comments:
Post a Comment