Sunday, July 1, 2012

New York, Day 28 and 29

In this week's episode of "The Roommates":

-Clair complains that she is too tired to do anything after her work is over in the evening.
"I come back, eat, work out, read a book, and sleep! I feel like such a loser!"
... but, but, that's what I do on a daily basis. Except, you know, work out (I prefer walking long distances instead).

-Clair got a copy of Fifty Shades of Gray. For serious reading, not as a joke. Yes, that Twilight-fanfiction-turned-into-shitty-erotica. She said she bought it because she heard it was "girl porn". So yeah.


-Clair buys clothes and shoes every week, and announces every time that "this will be my last, I swear!" It never is.

-"Everyone is so trendy in New York! I feel so frumpy!" Both Isabel and Clair complained, while wearing trendy clothes, jewelry, and carefully made-up faces. I just kind of sat there, wearing T-shirt and jean shorts, glasses and ponytail, no makeup.

-Isabel said she is starting to like her job. Yes, the shoved-in-the-closet fashion job. She insists that the person who shoved the interns in the closet is a higher-up, and that her direct bosses are nice to her. And that is all I have to say about this matter.

-If it seems that I only talk about Clair and Isabel, it's because Elsa is too busy studying for the bar most of the time. That shit is tough.


Day 28: Meeting with Nancy


Nancy was in NYC for her job training!

So we agreed to meet while she was here.

After a few fumbles in communication (i.e. I forgot to ask her number and got it from Heidi, Nancy and her cousin were stuck in a ramen place much longer than expected, I went out of the house very late because I could not find my belongings and searched for them forever), we finally met up at FAO Schwarz, the big toy store in New York.


Nancy was the same as ever; hair just below her ears, wearing a comfy T-shirt and shorts. The only thing that was remotely different was that she wasn't wearing her toe-shoes (you know, the running shoes that has space for your toes).

"I heard that they sold chocolate frogs from Harry Potter, so I wanted to get some!" Nancy exclaimed.

FAO Schwarz was enormous. And their candy section was also enormous.


Inside.
Candy section.
And they also had huge candies.


We eventually found the chocolate frogs. Sadly, they weren't in those fancy boxes.

They were, however, just under $5 for a single tiny frog. Holy shit.

The price did not deter Nancy, but I put it back down because I was short on cash at the moment and didn't feel justified to pay for it, even by card. Perhaps next time when I feel splurge-y.

We also looked around the store, which was pretty fun. Nancy squee-ed whenever she saw Harry Potter merchandise.


Ooh big piano.

We saw Iron Man!

After that fun little adventure, we met up with another friend of Nancy's (...whose name I now forgot. Yes, I am horrible with names. Shame on me), and we all went to Jamba Juice for some smoothies.

During the walk:

Nancy (in the middle): Where are we going again?

Friend (at Nancy's left): Jamba Juice.

Nancy: A what juice?

Friend: Jamba Juice!

Nancy: What?

Friend: Oh my god, you are deaf, I swear!

Me (at Nancy's right): Jamba Juice.

Friend: SEE?! She heard it and she's further away from you!!

She hasn't changed indeed.

After the smoothie break, we went shopping, where Nancy's friend went to buy shoes and we just occupied ourselves in a chair and caught up with each other's lives in more detail. And then Nancy caught sight of a pair of tennis shoes she really liked but was hesitant to buy. Her friend and I persuaded, and eventually succeeded in convincing her to buy them. I didn't know persuading someone to purchase would be so rewarding!

Twas nice seeing Nancy again.

(So aside from Robert, so far I met up with an elementary school friend and a University friend. If anyone else is planning to come to NY. PLEASE COME. I MISS EVERYONE.)


Day 29: Gay Pride Parade

So apparently June 24th was the Pride Parade. I was excited to find that I was in New York when it occured and that I could see the oft-mentioned Pride Parade with my own two eyes. It was surreal.

All the roommates in our room were planning to go together, but Elsa had to attend a friend's birthday party in Brooklyn and Isabel had to tend to her suddenly sick friend at the last minute. So it was just Clair and me.

The parade had already begun when we walked out of the dorm. And the streets were transformed; not just because of the people, but there was a long barricade on 5th Avenue for the parade to pass through, while endless streams of people cheered outside of both ends of the barricade.

When we managed to squeeze in and take a glimpse, it was full of rainbows. And it was fabulous, and I mean it in all seriousness. SENSORY OVERLOAD.






The two of us kept moving down and down to follow the procession.

I have seen a few gay couples (that I could tell were couples) in New York so far. But it seemed like everyone decided to rush out into the streets and be loud and proud about it on Parade day. Never have I seen so many happy looking same-sex couples holding hands, hugging, and kissing.







At the expense of sounding cheesy and cliched, I felt rather happy that so many people were out and celebrating who they were. I'm not gay or trans or any of the LGBTQ category, so I can't even pretend to know what they go through in terms of coming out, perceived prejudice and the limited ability to marry, and just... everything.

But I do have a number of LGBTQ friends. And they're all awesome, wonderful people, not any bit different from non-LGBTQ people except for the people they're attracted to. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone in the Pride Parade looked happy and were clearly enjoying themselves. It just left warm fuzzy feelings watching the whole thing.

Also, I may have admired that in the US, you can at least have a Pride Parade where you can be all crazy about yourself. There was something akin to a gay parade in Korea a while back, but people had a mask on or forbid photos because they did not want their lives, careers, personal relationships and such jeopardized by exposing themselves in public.

Not to mention the rampant, stupid-ass justifications for homophobia among ordinary folks. To the point I sometimes wonder "Where should we even begin to enlighten these fucking idiots? Is it even possible?"

I do not mean to start up a sort of Oppression Olympics; my point is that despite its many issues and a long, painful process, it feels like the United States is, at the very least, is approaching something of a significant milestone in LGBTQ history. I know it's nowhere near universal same-sex marriage, anti-bullying laws, and a better understanding of LGBTQ folks, but for now, things seem to be heading towards the better, and for that I feel happy and envious at the same time. I can only wish that things were better in all the other places that I've called home. Hell, just... everywhere, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment