Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Putting on Appearances

Why am I writing entries about dress again? Clearly, I am not myself.

I was supposed to have dinner with a good friend of mine, who was going to DC in Fall semester and maybe study abroad in the Winter semester, so there was a good chance I might not see her again in college.

The friend asked if it was okay if she brought her roommate along.

"Sure," I said, because, unless there was a very valid reason, why deny her request?

But secretly, I was slightly intimidated; I knew her roommate. She was tall, pretty, and from what I can tell, quite the popular girl.



The fact that my friend's roommate was coming for dinner brought a sense of dread; what if she thought I was a complete loser?

I was coming back from working at the Daily; I was wearing a Michigan shirt and jeans. I had my glasses on and my hair was tied unfashionably in a ponytail. Anyone could see that I cared very little about my appearance. And a girl who looked like this was not the type of person any cool people would want to hang out with.

There was also the factor of feeling like I should look "Korean" enough.
Ever since being bullied and having my self-esteem destroyed pointed out that I wasn't "Korean" enough (never mind my passport) in terms of style, thoughts, drama watching and all other trivial things, I have been very much concerned about how other Koreans might see me. I felt the need to assert that "Hey guys, you and I are exactly alike, and I just don't hang out with most of you guys not because I'm some loser, but I just like having friends who I can feel REALLY comfortable with!"

Whoever said that girls dress to impress guys is a complete liar. Girls dress to impress other girls and put on an appearance that she is a person who matters, a person who is good enough to be "one of them" and thus not get shunned in a clique, a PTA meeting, or whatever social groups women make.

My neurosis was reaching into epic proportions. I have not been this nervous about dressing well since my first date in freshman year or other important occasions where I had to dress up. It's just a casual dinner, calm the fuck down! I told myself, but my mind was too freaked out to listen.

I rushed home while brainstorming what to wear for dinner. I showered while brainstorming what to wear for dinner. I dried my hair while brainstorming what to wear for dinner.

After much deliberation, I decided to wear a gray shirt with bicycle prints at the bottom (bought in Korea, even!), a pair of dark jeans, and flat white sneakers. I put on my contacts, patted on a bit of BB cream, put on clear lip gloss, opted against any other makeup (in case I look like a try-hard), put on a bracelet, sprayed some perfume, and took my big brown handbag, which was the fanciest-looking bag I had.



I thought I seemed pretty okay and that I could blend in. I walked out the door and went all the way to Sushiya.

As I opened the Sushiya door, my friend and her roommate greeted me, while dressed like this:

 In case it's hard to read: Roommate has an 'Asian updo', 'scarf', 'thin top' and 'small handbag/purse'. Friend has 'eyeliner', 'pretty blouse', and 'French manicured nails'.

Even with all my primping, they looked collectively fancier than I did.

I had forgotten how much Korean girls adorn themselves with little things that I do not possess/give a damn about.

'Ah'

I have once again failed to look like "one of them".

(The actual dinner went okay though, I think.)