Saturday, March 20, 2010

I am a good student.

Dear my lovely, matronly roommate,

I am a good student.

I know I sometimes come back to the room at the crack of dawn and struggle to wake up for next morning's classes, but this late night excursions are NOT, I must emphasize, NOT from partying or fun time with my significant other.

You know full well by now that I often go study in the 3rd floor lounge. I know there is a lounge on the 5th floor, too, but the 3rd floor has life - supportive friends who have now become like family, midnight snacks, and a feeling of general merriement.

And you know it is to this lounge that I go study. You should know this from how I take my laptop and my backpack and my books with me.

I must admit I have a terrible productive schedule - it is hard for me to be hardworking and productive as you are in the middle of the day; my productiveness usually comes at night. It has always been this way, and such is my style of studying, although I should try to moderate it so that I sleep at a reasonable hour.

If I studied in my room, eight out of ten chances I would end up being utterly distracted by the wonders of the internet, or by doodling, or what have you. At least in the lounge, I've got people to tell me that we should work. In addition, seeing Ray watch Korean dramas all day long gets me to realize I should be working. And I do work.

I am sure that your comments this evening was out of consideration of your friend. Of course you wouldn't want her to wake up in the middle of the night and scream when the door opens and a huge girl walks in the room. Of course you wouldnt' want me to step on your friend by accident and make her go home the next day with a broken finger or a bruised face.

But I must say that your instruction of, "We're going to sleep early tonight", and "Don't come back late", made me feel as if I am a bad roommate.

Perhaps I am overthinking and taking your word for more than what you actually intended. If that is the case, then do spare me here, I have been in an oddly gloomy mood today, although today was nothing but merry.

Why your words made me feel like you were trying to preserve the image of two healthy Asian girls going early to bed and not wandering around the dorm late at night like some hooligan is beyond me. I have nothing to say but that is what I had felt like, and as a result, made me feel as if I am on the same level as the drunken undergraduates stumbling upon their room after a wild party, or if I am one of the annoying girls who are overly hormonal and indulge on lustful activities with their significant other into the night.

(I admit I have sometimes had conversations with him that literally was all night long, but I can swear with whatever valuables I have that we do not engage in indecent activities)

If I'm overreacting because of my eeyorish mood today, I shall apologize. If your words are actually out of genuine concern that the seemingly goody-goody, quiet, reclusive girl often coming back late at night is not good roommate behavior, I only have one thing to say.

I am a good student.

However, I'm an extreme night owl. And all things considered, at least I do not try to interrupt your sleep, nor the rest of your room life, for that matter.

Actually, I don't even know if you know that I made a blog, but if you EVER stumble upon it, know that I have no hard feelings about this; I am just mildly, ever so slightly, PARANOID.

Love,

Your nocturnal roommate with nothing but good intentions.