In the 1% chance that someone else other than me sees this post, know that this was done as a fun thought experiment, because who doesn't dream of becoming famous?
This was done after being inspired by a Naver blogger who I follow, a currently 22-year-old person who dreams of becoming a jewelry designer.
They have not yet gone to college, and is still looking for a job - normally, I would have scoffed at their conditions. I was 22 once, and I too thought the world would be my oyster then. Years later, after countless rejections and numerous events beyond my control, I've been humbled, even become cyncial and rather pessimistic. You don't know what you're in for yet, child, the world will swallow you alive, I'd say.
But something about their cheeky declaration - the insistence that despite their situations, they WILL be famous one day, just you wait and see - was just so charming that my cynicism melted away and I found myself rooting for them.
I too, dream of being famous one day; not for jewelry design, but for my writing and drawing. Right now, I am working on a comic script, with the intent to make it into a fully-fledged webcomic series that I plan to post on Webtoons.
It's highly unlikely that Webtoons will pick up my series, and even more unlikely that Webtoons Korea will pick it up, but nevertheless, that is my dream - to gain a following for my story, and have English Webtoons pick it up.
Then, I will find out how Webtoons Korea selects English Webtoons works to display on their site. I will translate my comic series from English to Korean, and suggest if Webtoons Korea could pick up my work. After all, I already did the translation for them, so it's only a matter of whether they would like it enough to pick it up.
I will be known not only for my stories, but also for being the Webtoon creator who is fully bilingual and publishes their stories in both English and Korean. No longer will there be fan wars on the "correct" translated version, no dispute about how to spell the name of a character or where they are from, and no worries about getting my work translated by an amateur who misinterprets all my lines. It will be straight from the original source.
Of course, there will be those who criticize me for gaining clout for my bilingual abilities rather than my abilities as a storyteller or artist. But lesser webcomic artists have gained fame for more trivial reasons, so why can't I gain fame for being bilingual? After all, we're constantly told to promote our own "brand", and that is something that will certainly distinguish me from the other creators.
And did I tell you that I plan to be completely anonymous the whole time?
(Incidentally, the blogger person I mentioned in the begining also aspires to be famous while being anonymous; another reason why I was so drawn to them)
I have a pen name ready (my instagram handle), and my pen name and my works will be all that most people will know me by. I plan on being anonymous and unidentifiable on every other aspect of my life other than that.
Journalists and people will have to refer to me as they/them, as they know nothing about my identity. I will be a Mx. when addressed to, and I will stay that way, probably until death.
This is because of multiple reasons: 1) I am a terribly shy, introverted and sensitive soul 2) Due to my name being so odd, if I were to gain fame by my actual name, I would essentially never have a private life, at least in Korea. Never mind that I will also be causing inconvenience to like, the 2-3 people who share my full name. 3) I am a selfish bastard who only wants to enjoy the good parts of fame and not have my actual self be attached to any bad parts of fame.
So that is my little daydream of becoming famous. I am far older than 22 and I know I'm not in the best position to launch myself into fame. Hell, I'm notoriously bad at attracting an audience for any of my social media and blogs. But, just like that blogger declared - I WILL be famous one day, just you wait and see.
No comments:
Post a Comment