Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year's Resolution of sorts?

Happy 2013!

2012 has been an eventful year - I graduated from college, and with the decision to delay a year before entering graduate school, interned in new locations for the latter half of the year. In some way, it was like seeing a tiny, tiny glimpse of life post-academia, and a good opportunity to see all my strengths and weaknesses dealing with real life.

Now that 2013 is here, and now that I have copious amounts of free time for the first time in a long time, I thought it is the perfect time for a New Year's Resolution.

I never had New Year's Resolutions because I'm the sort that focuses on one thing only (that being my studies most of the time), but here are some things I'd like to do:

The Physical:

1) Weight loss
I'm currently at my fattest. I also have very weak stamina. There's no way to sugarcoat this.
I also have a gym membership that lasts till this summer. I'll just have to work hard.

2) Resume Kendo
If I get over my low self-esteem about my skills, it's complicated... damn it why am I still scared?

The Mental:

3) More reading
I feel that it has been a while since I sat down to read for leisure since college started. I miss the peacefulness of reading and immersing in a literary work.

4) Producing creative content
I have not been drawing, writing or doing anything creative for years!*
(*without the aid of college elective courses)
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
Whether it is painting, clay, or just scribbles on paper, it must happen again.

The Personal:

5) Be more friendly and approachable
It's true that I am hard to approach; I'm sure I can give off about five different excuses for that, but that doesn't help any in me staying as the aloof, quiet girl in the background. And at the end of the day, I still kind of suck at letting people know I appreciate them, (though it's heaps better than back in high school).
While interning in Korea, I have made an effort to be more friendly and approachable to people. And to my pleasant surprise, it paid off. I could use more of this.

6) Actually get shit done and not stress myself from the anxiety of doing said shit
I'm not too confident about this one either, but since I can't speak Czech enough to talk to a therapist, I'll just have to deal with it myself.

7) Wake up early... well, earli-ER.
Enough said.

Well, these aren't much, but we'll see how much I can actually accomplish this year!

1 comment:

  1. I always like New Year's resolutions! A nice time to reset :)

    ReplyDelete