Friday, January 21, 2011

A Katamari Entry

If you are wondering "What the hell is a katamari", you are clearly missing out. Check it out. It's worth it.

It is difficult coming up with something to write on the blog sometimes. It is more diffcult to make my entries sound remotely funny, when I am up against contenders friends such as Andrew or Yiwen, who both write seemingly effortless, yet hilarious and wonderfully articulate blog posts. (Note to Andrew; WRITE MORE.) Or perhaps my writing muse had packed her bags and left, too, along with my artistic inspiration muse, who moved out and only visits me once in a while now. I hope you're enjoying your excursion, you bastards.

On the other hand, there were things that I desparately wished to blog about, but didn't or hadn't, because 1) there isn't enough material for one full post, 2) in fear of making this blog a rant-fest of All That is Wrong With the World, 3) in fear of boring readers to death. But in the end, after hours of pondering, I decided to just clump all the scrap thoughts in my head and make it one post. I mean, how many people read this blog, anyway? Two? Three? I'm sure the single-digit audience know me enough and can handle the babbling. It's in my blog title, after all.

So, here's a lump of a variety of things that is my life and my babbles.

1) Ann Arbor Restaurant Week

Ann Arbor has a Restaurant Week every January; for a week, a select number of fancy restaurants in Main Street offer a set menu, lunch for $12 and dinner for $25, which is redundant information if you are already a UM student, which are about 75%~100% of the blog readers, depending on whether any of my non-UM friends know or read this blog. While I would have liked to pig out for six days a week on fancy restaurants, my class schedule and my wallet does not allow me to do so. However, the places I've been so far were good.

The Melting Pot: fondue place. The cheese and chocolate fondue were both tasty. I think I have fallen in love with the "original chocolate fondue", a warm melting pot (ha ha) of peanut butter and chocolate. Everything tastes infinitely better with melted peanut butter and chocolate. Especially strawberries.

Real Seafood: Seafood place. The food was good, though in retrospect the portion may have been not thaaaat big, or perhaps I am a glutton, or I may just have been really, really hungry. Had New England Clam Chowder, a shrimp dish, and lemon cream puffs. The lemon cream was quite exquisite.

2) Andrew, update your blog.

3) Rant

It just annoys me when people assume Asians undergo "double eyelid" plastic surgery because they want to look like Caucasian people. Some East Asians are born with double eyelids, my own father is born with double eyelids. I doubt he wished he looked like a White man when he was in my grandmother's womb. Asian people with double eyelids do not look like Caucasian people, as any person with a speck of eyesight and sentience will tell you. Double eyelid surgery is merely a method to have larger eyes, as large eyes are a - gasp - universal trait of beauty! Yet somehow, if you're (East) Asian, you're supposed to be "proud of your slanty eyes", and if you undergo plastic surgery, my god, you're trying to be White.

Bullshit.

Obviously, I cannot speak for Asian Americans, as I'm Asian... Asian. And taking a class on Asian American literature, I can see where such an argument may come from, as Asian Americans have also received a lot of flack and racism in the US as much as any other minority races, and their achievements and efforts have often been erased from American history, so we have learned. Who knows, there may be Asian Americans who have suffered a degree of racism that they try to look more Caucasian, I wouldn't know.

BUT, I can tell you that most Asians, while Western standards of beauty have affected what they see as beautiful (ex. thinness, tallness, etc), it is not to the point that an Asian woman looks at the mirror and wants to be Caucasian. And no, dyeing your hair and putting on colored lenses do NOT mean they want to be white. They're just accessorizing themselves as any other person of any race would do. By the same logic, you could argue Caucasians want to be Black, because they tan, or that they want to be Asian, if they dye their hair black. But the latter argument is dismissed as being ridiculous while the former is taken seriously. What sort of silly double standard is this?

One last thing; Not all Asians have "slanty eyes". It is merely a difference of eye shape. The perceived beauty of "slanty eyes", high cheekbones and the like is likely a product of Orientalist exoticism from the past which somehow lingers today. There is a reason why these traits are not seen as attractive to Asians, and it's not because they are so brainwashed by the sheer awesomeness of Caucasian beauty that they hate themselves. They're just... not attractive looking to Asians. That's it.

P.S. Double eyelid surgery isn't some grotesque procedure that fiddles around with your eyes. The whole thing takes only a short while, and you can function normally on the day of, or the next day. Get over it.

4) Ruixiao, how are you. Can you show yourself sometimes? It's not even about anything anymore, it's just that I haven't seen you in a while and I would like to occasionally talk to you or say hi. That is all. Your presence at the moment is like that of an enchanted unicorn - oft mentioned, but never seen.

5) Andrew, update your blog. I have ranted about stuff, so there's no excuse for you not to. Yaaay.

6) As the time to graduate slowly approaches (next spring), my fear of the future is increasing. Some may talk about how the youth is lazy and unmotivated, not willing to work for their future and careers, but trust me, I am nervous to death about whether I will get a job. I need to at least pay back my parents the exorbitant American university tuition.

7) Naaaaa na na na na na na na Katamari Damacy~

8) Why is there no decent yogurt to eat in the States? It's either artificially sweetened, fat deprived tasteless lumps of stuff, or pricey organic yogurt that I can eat, sure, but it is kinda pricey  Yes, you can get natural yogurt, but me being picky and not that much of a health nut, I am slightly reluctant to eat sour and bitter-tasting fermented milk. It feels ridiculous when I have become such a snob that I will only eat yogurt when I go to Prague during vacation. Give me delicious semi-healthy yogurt!

9) I'm supposed to be doing homework right now, but the book I'm supposed to read is incredibly dry. It's not easy for me to lose interest in a book after two pages. I am currently looking at Andrew who is sporting a scarf quite stylishly.

10) And in any case I seem like a creepy Andrew-gawker in Stockwell Lounge, I am also in the company of Robert and Jackie, and formerly Nazifa, Steffie, and Amy, too.

I think I'm done for now. This is the most unorganized post I have ever written.